Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Goodbye Summer... Hello TV!

In the past two weeks I have:
a) Eaten all the food in my place.
b) Spent all the money I had in my bank account.
c) Watched The Godfather Part 1, 2, and 3.
d) Watched the complete 3rd season of Dexter.

Okay, the 3rd season of Dexter was watched in the last three days, not two weeks. But can you imagine watching twelve hours of mind-blowing television with no junk food to munch on at all!? I vowed to never do such a thing again.

Today I spent about an hour and a half at the grocery store, stocking up for the next few weeks of season premiers, movie nights, and old school cartoon marathons. So as soon as I came home, with a room full of food, I put on the first two episodes of the second season of Fringe.


Peter, Olivia, and Walter are back!

Fringe's season finale last year left me with wide eyes and a jaw hung open. It answered questions that were brought forth all season and, despite its cliff-hanger ending, left me satisfied...more so than the ending of the first season of Lost anyways. So I had high hopes for this new season and its capability to push the laws of science even further and see how much the audience would believe. And I have to say...

I'm disappointed. The last season ended on such a high note (SPOILER ALERT): Olivia Dunham meeting with William Bell on the top floor of the World Trade Center in an alternate universe. It left me in wonder. It left me in awe. It left me craving more. So I was really looking forward to at least partial answers to some of these questions:
  • How do people travel back and forth between all the alternate universes?
  • WHAT THE EFF happened to the Peter Bishop from the universe we're in that Walter had to bring the other Peter Bishop over?
  • What is going on in the alternate universe that Olivia and William Bell were in? What kind of world is it? What are some of its current events?
To be honest with you, I was expecting this season to take place mostly in the alternate universe answering those questions. And yes, I knew they wouldn't all come in the first two episodes but to not even mention it? That's just cold.

The first episode was effective enough. It established that Olivia didn't remember anything and was being tracked down by a shape-shifter being who would take the form of the last human he hooked his thinger-ma-jigger up to. The FBI was threatening to close down the Fringe division (similar to what happens in every other season of the X-Files). The episode ended on a cliff-hanger. I was okay with it. I didn't think the first episode was that bad.

The shape-shifting device used in Episode One of Fringe's second season.

Now for the second episode. I found this one to be long and boring. It told the story of a man who had genetically mutated his unborn son so that the kid would survive the childbirth (the mother had lupus therefore she couldn't give birth). The mother died while giving birth and, it was assumed, so did the child. Now, seventeen years later, people are disappearing in a small county in Pennsylvania. This half-human half-scorpion is living underground beneath his father's house and feasting on humans there. Peter and Olivia decide to go down and check it out. My biggest problem with this episode was that it felt as if I had seen it before. And I sort of have.

In the eighth season of the X-Files, there was an episode titled Patience that took place in Idaho about a genetically mutated human living underground, killing the people of a small community. This mutant was half-human half-bat but the resemblance is still too close for me. Everyone's comparing Fringe and the X-Files and now the writers of Fringe are giving us more and more reasons to do so. Not only was this episode boring, it had nothing to do with any of the Fringe mythology. No references to the pattern, the Fringe division being almost shut down, Massive Dynamic, William Bell, etc. We got to see more of the shape-shifters actions and Nina Sharp giving Olivia the name of a man who can help her overcome her symptoms of traveling between dimensions which include super-hearing powers. That was the extent of the mythology in the episode.

Other observations of the new season? Walter is a little more ridiculous in some of his dialogue but I like it still. He's always been funny and they're just pushing that a bit further.

And did anyone catch the X-Files shout out in the first episode?

Mulder and Scully on TV in Fringe!

2 comments:

  1. peter bishop died of a disease in the current universe... i believe it was mentioned that he had an incurable in several episodes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. .... and of course i caught the glimpse of X-files

    ReplyDelete